|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE||Contact: |
Democratic Governance & Rights Unit, Wilfred and Jules Kramer Law Building,
Level 6, Middle Campus, University of Cape Town
|Phone: [+27 21 650 2098]|
Conference brings together key members of the judiciary across Africa in Cape Town
[Cape Town, South Africa, May 30th, 2019] Leading members of the judiciary across Africa will be gathering at the Southern Sun Cape Sun Hotel in Cape Town, 2 – 6 June 2019. The focus will be on judicial independence with a particular focus on conditions of service – a crucial issue challenging judges from virtually every part of the continent.
Judicial officers from at least 23 countries are to take part in the conference, paying close attention to the multi-faceted issues around judicial independence.
The Conference that is themed ‘Safeguarding the independence and conditions of service of judicial officers’ is organised by the Judicial Officers Association of South Africa (JOASA) and Democratic Governance and Rights Unit (DGRU) of the University of Cape Town. It brings together the Africa regional bloc of the International Association of Judges (IAJ), a few whose top officials will also attend.
Commenting on the conference the President of JOASA, senior South African magistrate, Daniel Thulare, said “The conference is crucial in that it will submit a conference report about the state of affairs in Africa to the IAJ at its world meeting in September in Kazakhstan. These reports, from Africa and the other continental blocs, will then be used as the basis for lobbying and research.”
PRESS KITS WILL BE AVAILED AT THE CONFERENCE
NOTES TO THE EDITOR:
1) If you would like more information about this conference, please contact Alison Tilley on [071 671 8654], or email firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Further Press Enquires can be sent to:
Conference Media Expert
3) More information about IAJ Conference can be found at the IAJ Conference website http://iaj-arg-capetown2019.org/
4) A Live Stream of most of the sessions at the conference will be available through the Democratic Governance & Rights Unit (DGRU) Facebook Page fb.me/DgruUCT. Please follow/Like the page to participate.
Another Livestream will be on the DGRU YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjBZxW2zWh-MDMwn8hCq4sw
5) You can follow DGRU on Twitter using @DGRU_ Further the public is encouraged to follow the conversation from the conference using the #IAJ2019 on Twitter and on Facebook. This is the official hashtag for the conference.